Blog 23 Protest in Sappho Square

Blog 23
Protest in Sappho Square
May 9, 2018

Image may contain: one or more people, people sitting and outdoor

Image may contain: 2 people, people standing and outdoor

Image may contain: one or more people, people standing and outdoor


Gentle Reader,

Sometimes you just end up in the right place at the right time. 

After dinner in Myteline Port yesterday, I walked around the port, as I usually do in the evening.  Sappho Square was teeming with hundred of people, so I naturally wanted to discern what was happening.  Turns out, this peaceful protest was in response to the protest last week.  You might remember my writing about the folks that came out in support of refugees seeking better housing in Moria, especially, and more efficient processing and placement of asylum seekers.  The peaceful protest turned ugly when a group of fascists showed up and started flinging rocks at the refugees.  This resulted in the police sending teargas into the crowds to disperse everyone.

Tonight was a gathering of folks proclaiming "Lesvos United Against Fascists."  I was more than happy to join their march...

Image may contain: 4 people, crowd, child and outdoor

Image may contain: 4 people, people smiling, sky, stripes and outdoor

Image may contain: 4 people, people sitting and shoes

I wish I could know and/or explain the symbolism behind the covered lower part of one's face by several of the marchers, but I do not know the meaning.  My Greek is severely limited, so some of my info comes from overhearing bits of conversation sprinkled with a little English. 

I did have a bizarre experience waiting for the protest march to begin.  A elderly Greek gentleman sat a little too close to me on the steps at Sappho Square.  He was clearly trying to communicate with me, but his English was limited , as was my Greek.  I think he wanted me to come with him somewhere, which for safety reason I would not.  He asked me about bambinos, too, which I couldn't quite understand.  Perhaps he wanted to know if I had children.  He kept putting his hands to his lips and making smacking or kissing sounds.  Then he would write letters onto his palm with his fingers, as if relaying numbers to me.  At one point, I was thinking that he thought I might be a prostitute, and he was trying to negotiate a fee with me.  This was all very unsettling.  As those who know me, I dress modestly and don't appear to be advertising my body in any way.  Perhaps I misunderstood the entire interaction.  Regardless, he sitting far too close to me for comfort, and his persistence in writing numbers on his palm, made me uncomfortable.  So, I simply said "no" several times and eventually took off for another part of the Square.  Greg Triffon, perhaps you can shed some light on this interaction???

Image may contain: 4 people, people standing and outdoor

Image may contain: one or more people, people standing and outdoor

I will conclude today's blog with some quotes about the power of peaceful protest...with a nod to Father Peter Dougherty and Father Dick Preston, both of whom are peaceful social justice warriors.  True heroes in our time.

Elie Wiesel quote: There may be times when we are powerless to prevent injustice, but there...

We must pursue peaceful end through peaceful means.
An unjust law is itself a species of violence. Arrest for its breach is more so. Now the law of nonviolence says that violence should be resisted not by counter-violence but by nonviolence. This I do by breaking the law and by peacefully submitting to arrest and imprisonment. - Mahatma Gandhi
May your day be filled with peacefulness and mindfulness, a day where you speak truth to power in profound and memorable ways...
Namaste,
Marianne

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Blog Post 24 A Day in the Life...

Blog Post 27 Poetry Writing Workshop