Blog Entry 3 Working First Day at Kara Tepe Village

Blog Entry 3
Tuesday, April 17, 2018


Gentle Reader,

After orientation to Kara Tepe, Leande asked me to help out with a project called "Cookies and Conversation."  This is an opportunity for any resident of Kara Tepe to learn some English.  This could be for someone who knows no English at all, or for someone quite proficient who simply wants to improve his/her skills.  Or anywhere in between.

Step One is to find people who might like to be a part of the sessions.  Kelly and I went around with thermos and cookies, asking women along the way if they would like to join us for some English practice.  Some said yes, but then did not come to the Yurt for the session.  I am told this is typical.  The women are really busy tending to their children, but two women did come to the Yurt with their children.

We took turns playing with the children as the other volunteer worked on English conversation.  Both women today were novices with English, so we went over some basic phrases, saying each other's names, introducing colors and body parts, a little bit on directions, etc...  The women's smiles were amazing when they mastered "my name is..." and "how are you."

With the children, I played some body parts games, like "Head and Shoulders, Knees and Toes" as well as the famous "Hokey Pokey." (This is for you, Kara!!!)  I also did some movement activities with the children, focusing on walking, running, hopping, etc...

Shortly after Cookies and Conversation, there was a Clown Show in the Yurt.  Anne and Hannah are traveling clowns, donating their time to Kara Tepe for a couple weeks.  They were able to convey so many concepts, ideas, and emotions with not a single word, but with a great deal of fun circus music.  What a delight it was to see all the children entertained and entranced by what the clowns had to offer.  Perhaps the most moving moment was watching a young deaf boy thoroughly enjoy and understand everything the clowns were doing.  This young man is about 8 years old and lost his hearing in an bombing explosion in Syria.  I am wondering if he would benefit from a coclear implant, and when and how this might be possible for him.  I have much to learn...

After the Clown Show, I visited the clothing warehouse for a bit, hoping to help sort items.  We are currently in the process of removing winter clothes from The Shop and replacing them with lighter spring and summer clothes.  Juena, another volunteer from The Netherlands, grabbed me and said she wanted me to come help in The Shop, so my stay in the warehouse was short today.  In The Shop, I learned the computer system for tracking full kits and topup kits, as well as emergency kits.

I met a lovely family from Pakistan while working in The Shop.  Their fourteen year old teenage daughter wasn't very enamored with any of the used clothing and shoes.  I remember how hard it is for girls to find clothes that they feel suits them and expresses their personality at that age.  Yes, I have four daughters!!!  Anyway, I went back into the shoe area and found a pair of high top neon green tennis shoes.  I didn't know if she would embrace them or give me a clear "no way" with her eyes.  She tried them on, and even though they were a tad snug, she smiled and said yes.  I ran into Simra the next day as I was walking around camp, and we both gleefully admired the new green high tops she was wearing.  I also discovered that her name means "a fruit in paradise."  More on Simra and our growing relationship in a future blog post...

After Simra's family had been in The Shop for an hour and checked out, the next family entered.  I offered to hold a 25 day old baby so the mama could have her hands free to shop for clothing.  There is about one baby born per week at Kara Tepe.  Mamas are taken to local hospital for delivery.  The little baby was beautiful, with a full head of hair and the most intense eyes that tracked everything.  Beautiful.

I spent most of the ten hour first day standing, as will be the practice for all my days working at Kara Tepe.  As some of you know, I have an auto-immune disease which causes my immune system to destroy my joints.  I am on strong medicine for this, which is supposed to slow the process of joint deterioration, but at the same time it lowers my immune system to almost nothing.  I have not had a cold or flu since I began this medicine regimen almost five years ago, but I am aware that conditions in the camp may cause me to be more prone to illness.  So, I am an avid user of hand sanitizer, as are all volunteers in the camp.  I want to thank my Drumming/Mindfulness Group in Madisonville, Kentucky for supplying me with numerous bottles of hand sanitizer for this journey.  Thank you, sweet friends Joan, Lisa, Glynnes, Brenda, and Jeanne.  Your kindness is very appreciated and will keep my healthy while working here at Kara Tepe.

In honor of my newfound friendship with Simra and her family, I would like to close today's blog with some Pakistani Proverbs:

"The fruit of patience is sweet..."
         "Division is the main reason for the damage..."
                    "It takes two to make a quarrel..."
                                   "Do good and cast into the river..."

May your day be without quarrels and rich with doing good works...

Namaste,
Marianne
                                   






Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Blog Post 24 A Day in the Life...

Blog Post 27 Poetry Writing Workshop