"...A little spark can kindle a great fire..."
                                            -Syrian Proverb
 Gentle Reader,

These are a few images from Kara Tepe Refugee Camp on the island of Lesbos, Greece.  I will be traveling to this island mid-April and will work at the camp as a volunteer for a month.  I'll be working with a service organization out of The Netherlands called Movement on the Ground.

I would like to dedicate this blog to Patrick Mullan-Koufopoulos, a former student of mine from East Lansing High School in East Lansing, Michigan.  Patrick has been working at the camp for several months now, returning to his own heritage with an open heart, a dedicated spirit, and a willingness to serve and be vulnerable.  Patrick's devotion to social justice and positive change for the world has always inspired me.  He is truly one of the movers and shakers of the world, and I am proud and pleased to treasure him as a dear friend.  Patrick may be leaving Kara Tepe about the same time I arrive, but I am hoping our paths cross and unite before he returns to the States.


If you are wondering why I chose to commit to this work at Kara Tepe...
       This past summer, I sold my home in East Lansing and moved to Madisonville, Kentucky.  This move was the result of a nine year long distance relationship with Scott, who lives and teaches in Madisonville.  He and I met in Istanbul, Turkey, in 2009, where both of us were on a Fulbright-Hays Award.  When I sold my home, I decided that I wanted to spend some of the monies from the house doing service work.  As a result of my contact with Patrick, mentioned above, I decided that doing service work at Kara Tepe would be where I would commit my time and energies. 

     Know that I have been deeply saddened that the United States has not committed to taking in more Syrian refugees.  There are so many places in the world, especially Germany and Canada, that have opened their hearts and homes to Syrian refugees.  This service work is an opportunity to open my heart and arms to the people who are in a waiting mode at this camp. 

     The camp is rooted in community and personal, individual integrity.  For example, residents of the camp do not wait in line for food; instead, food is delivered to each housing unit daily.  I will be part of that delivery system.  Further, there is a community center that is at the heart of the camp.  I am hoping to work with various groups of folks, perhaps teaching English, if needed, incorporating music into the community center, possibly setting up writing groups for women and for children.  Recently, a kitchen has been established for families to cook food that is culturally familiar to them.  I hope to work there, too, and learn from those who are sharing their regional cuisines.  Although the camp houses largely Syrian refugees, there are folks there from Iraq and Democratic Republic of Congo, too. 

     In truth, I am uncertain as to what to expect.  I go with an open heart and open hands.  If you would like to join me on this journey, feel free to follow this blog.  I will be staying at a volunteer apartment connected to Movement on the Ground.  I will fly into Athens, then take a short flight over to Lesbos. 

     I hope you will join me on this journey...

     "A narrow place can contain a thousand friends..."
                             -Syrian Proverb

Namaste,

Marianne
9

Comments

  1. You have such a big heart, Marianne. Sending prayers & positive energy with you! Lynn

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wishing you love, light, safety, great well-being, and lots of strength And joy!! You are such a blessing Marianne and I’m so grateful for the work you’re doing and for sharing your amazing journey with us. ❤️

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lynn and Lisa... thank you! Happy you are following blog!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Blog Post 26 Harden Not Your Heart...

Blog Post 28 Morning Walks to Carpe Diem